- Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in American adults.
- Today, more than 9 million Canadians live with diabetes or prediabetes (an estimated 285 million people worldwide)
- Approximately 80% of people with diabetes will die as a result of heart disease or stroke.
- Diabetes is a contributing factor in the deaths of approximately 41,500 Canadians each year. This is a test to see what happens at the next line whether it will still be indented
What can you do?
- Regular eye exams as recommended by your optometrist/eyecare provider. Don’t wait for symptoms.
- Immediately see your optometrist/eyecare provider if you do experience any visual symptoms such blurriness, distortions (straight lines appearing crooked), increased glare problems and loss of vision.
- Studies show people at risk of type 2 diabetes were able to reduce their risk by 58% by exercising moderately for 30 minutes a day and by losing 5 to 7% of their body weight. In people age 60 and older, the risk was cut by almost 71%. Other large studies have shown similar results in reducing risk.